Sunday 10 April 2016

Big Wave Bay and Shek O - Saturday 9 April 2016

Today's plan was to hike to Big Wave Bay.

I caught the MTR to the furthest eastern point on the Island Line, Chai Wan.

I then walked though this massive cemetery at the far eastern point of the island which was on a very steep hill. 



Buying your way into heaven...


Then up further I hit the trail not quite where I meant to as I got a bit lost in the cemetery. Pity it's not clearer but gives you an idea of the scale of HK...that's looking across to Kowloon...




Finally got to a park at the top and kept walking. Found a sign to Big Wave Bay. the sign had 1 1/2 and some Chinese characters so I thought it was 1 1/2 km to the bottom, but I think it was 1 1/2 hours. Eventually got to Big Wave Bay which is where I was heading.


Nice beach and small village. However beach was closed due to red tides which was a shame as it was very humid.

Where are the big waves ? :-)








From the beach I walked part way up a massive hill...so I stopped here. I later found out that is looking down to Cape Collinson Correctional Facility...


Looking the other way towards Shek O...


Then I left Big Wave Bay and headed down the road for another few km to Shek O. My favourite place so far. Nice village and lots of nice cafes and a lovely beach. I did some research later and discovered I can't afford to live there ! Flash country club and glamorous golf course. Lots of expats. Not sure if they live there or were just visiting. 




Caught #9 bus back to MTR and home in about 40 minutes.

Then went into Central for my yoga class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Melbourne - June 2024

Had to go to Melbourne for work. Flew on the Monday morning and straight to the office. After work I checked in to Voco and crossed Lonsdale...