Monday 28 November 2016

New York - Monday 28 November 2016

Went for a walk looking for breakfast. I struggle in America with breakfasts. I really feel like avocado on toast, or muesli.

In frustration I went back to the same cafe I went to yesterday and had a bagel with cream cheese. It was okay.

Walked to The Highline which was on my list. It is an elevated walkway running by the river, which used to be a railway. Great walk. Made a bit of a mistake and started in the middle so walked further than I needed to by the time I re-traced my steps. Would have been better to start at one end.







Doubtful...it's 10 degrees...











Then caught the train to 77th Street. Trains are good, but a bit complicated with all the different numbers and lines and express / local.

Coffee with frog...


Walked to The Met. I'd been before and it is an amazing museum. You pay what you want - I paid $20. Bought lunch - chicken over rice - from a street vendor.



Fifth Avenue...







Then wandered around Central Park. It's beautiful with the leaves changing colour. Went to Strawberry Fields the John Lennon memorial, right near the Dakota Building.











American Museum of Natural History...on the list for next time...



National Museum of the American Indian...this one is down the other end of town...



My legs are really tired now but it's getting dark and I can't find a subway ! So I walked all the way back to hotel in 29th Street. Walked past Trump Tower on 5th which of course had heaps of security and protesters.


St Patrick's Cathedral...


It is a nice time to be here. Cold and gets dark early but the Christmas lights are up and 5th Ave looks amazing.

Saks 5th Avenue...





Back to hotel for shower, then went to a rooftop bar at 230 5th Ave. Amazing views and they had these cute igloos to keep out the cold.

Empire State Building from 230 Fifth...



Igloos you can book...I sat outside...very cold !



Then caught Uber to my new hotel. I'm going to Boston tomorrow and then need to change hotels when I get back on Wednesday. So I dropped off my bag as I don't want to take my big bag to Boston.

This time I'm staying in lower East Side at Sago Hotel. The area is a bit grittier.

Subway to Greenwich Village for dinner. Then walked back to hotel and crashed. Great day.

Chrysler Building...


Washington Square Park...


Greenwich Village...


Empire State Building from outside my hotel...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Melbourne - June 2024

Had to go to Melbourne for work. Flew on the Monday morning and straight to the office. After work I checked in to Voco and crossed Lonsdale...