Wednesday 8 June 2016

Hanoi - Wednesday 8 June 2016

It's the Dragon Boat Public Holiday in HK tomorrow. So decided to take Friday off and go to Hanoi and Halong Bay for a long weekend. Flight is only 1.5 hours and quite cheap.

Left work a bit early and headed to the airport. Always an easy process leaving HK. First time on Hong Kong Airlines and all good. Took off and landed on time. Plenty leg room and got a meal.

Had to get visa on arrival at Hanoi Airport which is a funny process. Have to have an agent apply to immigration for you so you have a letter when you arrive. My hotel did all that for me for USD15. 

Noi Bai Airport is new and quite big. I got off the plane and walked quickly to the visa counter. I was first in line and got my visa quickly. Phew. I was a bit worried as I have heard a few stories where people arrived without the right docs. HK Airlines were good and checked everything at check-in and the gate.


Easy then to get through customs and had private car arranged through hotel. About 40 minutes into Hanoi and then the Old Quarter where I was staying. Great place to stay. Very central. Lots of backpackers and boutique hotels. Mine was classed as a 3 star but very nice. I had booked hotel and Halong Bay cruise together so got a good rate. I took an Executive room for USD40 per night. It was big and nice with a large terrace overlooking the street.

I walked around for a couple of hours but didn't go far as I was worried about getting lost. The guy in the hotel was great and had given me a map and said to be careful not to get lost. Streets are narrow and busy with cars and scooters. Even when there is footpath, they are clogged with scooters so you have to walk on the road. Had some Pho for dinner and then to a coffee place. Vietnam is famous for both.

Bed about 11pm. Vietnam is 1 hour behind HK.

So many scooters...every adult has one in Vietnam...50 million of them...


Very happy with my room...


Views from my terrace...




Found this for Callum, but they didn't have his size...


Walking up my street...Ma May Street...


Transport for the whole family...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Melbourne - June 2024

Had to go to Melbourne for work. Flew on the Monday morning and straight to the office. After work I checked in to Voco and crossed Lonsdale...