Sunday 16 April 2023

Phnom Penh - April 2023

Decided to go to Phnom Penh for a long weekend with my ex-colleague, Ian. 

We left Hong Kong early Friday morning and arrived in Phnom Penh about 1030. Caught a tuk tuk from the airport to Penh House Hotel. The hotel had been recommended and the room was nice, but the highlight was the rooftop pool and restaurant/bar...

I decided to go for a walk to the river, and meet Ian later. I didn't realise it was 38 degrees outside!

It was the Cambodian national holiday weekend where most locals go to their home province to see their families. So the streets were very quiet and many things were closed.

We agreed to meet at a bar on the river called Floatation. I caught a tuk tuk before discovering it was closed for the weekend! 

View of a bridge being built, close to Floatation...

Barge crossing the river...

I caught another tuk tuk to Aeon Mall as I needed a phone charger. It is very easy to book a tuk tuk on Grab which takes away the need to negotiate. I had some lok lak beef which is a local dish...


I met Ian at Bassac Lane which is the bar and restaurant area. We had a drink and then I went back to my hotel for a rest. That evening I had a beer at the rooftop bar...



Night fell...



I then went back to Bassac Lane and met Ian for dinner at a Greek restaurant. 


We then went to a Welsh Bar. My first Welsh bar ever and it's in Cambodia!


View from a moving tuk tuk...


The next morning I got up and went for another walk. It's only 35 today!



Stopped for an iced coffee...


Walked to the Mekong River...


Street scene...


Love the USD 75 cent beers. Things are cheap here and everything is in USD but you get your change in Cambodian Riel...


The theme of  the national holiday is water, like in Thailand, and it was fun to see kids and adults firing water guns at passers by...



Back to the hotel for lunch...


That evening we met at the river and did a sunset cruise which cost USD5. We couldn't see the sun as it was hazy but it was fun to be on the river...



On Sunday we met for a fancy brunch and started with a bottle of Taittinger...






Monday morning I got up and had a swim before breakfast...



Then we caught a tuk tuk to the airport for our 1130 flight back to Hong Kong. Great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Melbourne - June 2024

Had to go to Melbourne for work. Flew on the Monday morning and straight to the office. After work I checked in to Voco and crossed Lonsdale...