Saturday 30 October 2021

Genting Dream cruise - October 2021

It's still not easy to travel and I have a lot of annual leave to use, so I booked a 2 night cruise to nowhere on the Genting Dream. The ship sailed from Hong Kong on a Wednesday evening. I have a balcony cabin and am looking forward to a different experience.

The check-in process was okay - about an hour from arrival at Kai Tak Cruise Terminal, to getting to my room. They had to check vaccination records and COVID test results of course. I even had to clear immigration.


My room was nice and it was great to have a balcony...


View from my balcony over the cruise terminal to Kowloon...


I had a few hours before we sailed, so I explored the ship. It is very big. Plenty of activities including a climbing wall, a zipline, mini-golf and waterslides.



The waterslides were fun - especially that blue one. I couldn't get to do the zipline. Although the ship is only 50% capacity as per government regulations, there are still a lot of people on board.



We sailed at 8pm. It didn't take too long to clear Victoria Harbour and reach the South China Sea. I elected not to pay for wifi so was offline for about 36 hours.


I had bought the drinks package so that night I sat outside as we left HK with a glass of wine. I then tried several other bars. I got excited when I saw there was live music at some of the bars, but it was all Mandarin or Canto-pop - not my thing. I sat in the karaoke bar but that was a bit boring too.


At sea...


Food in the inclusive restaurants was only average. I tried to get into the hot pot restaurant which reviewed well but it was booked out for both nights. I did go to the Japanese restaurant (at cost) which was okay but lacked a bit of atmosphere.

Spent Thursday by the pool. You had to book one hour slots, which were all taken, but they allowed stand-by...


The blue waterslide was particularly fun...


Sunset from one of the bars...


Thursday night was an Oktoberfest thing with beer and strudel etc...


I woke up Friday morning and the ship had already docked. I had a relaxing breakfast and got off the ship which was quicker than boarding! That's a photo of the cruise terminal.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Melbourne - June 2024

Had to go to Melbourne for work. Flew on the Monday morning and straight to the office. After work I checked in to Voco and crossed Lonsdale...