Saturday 19 January 2019

Whistler - January 2019 - Friday 18 to Sunday 20th

I was invited to join some of my oldest friends for a skiing holiday in Whistler. I haven't been skiing for 17 years, and have never been to Canada other than a day trip to Niagara Falls in 1997. My daughter will also join us.

Friday night I flew Cathay direct to Vancouver. Was upgraded to Premium Economy which was nice for the 14 hour flight.

Bus transfer to Whistler took about 2 hours. Then a quick transfer to Blackcomb where I am staying with my friends. My daughter will arrive tomorrow from Sydney.

That night, we caught the shuttle to Whistler and had some dinner. Started here at the Fairmont, and it's a short walk to Whistler Village.


Saturday we couldn't ski as there is a blackout on our ski passes due to Martin Luther King Public Holiday in the US. So we did  a snow mobile tour which was fun. We were picked up from The Fairmont and a 20 minute drive to the start of the trail. It started to snow lightly.


It's very beautiful...



Snow fight ! That's me in the grey pants...










It was a great experience. That night we went back into Whistler for dinner. All meals $5.95 ! Alcohol expensive :-)



Day 2 - hitting the slopes ! It was a short walk from our lodge to this run.

It all came back to me, 17 years later...


Me and Julie, my friend of 30+ years...


Beautiful day...




Stopping for lunch at Crystal Pass...









Got back to the apartment at 3pm. It gets dark about 4:30. Legs very tired and 2 hours in the spa worked wonders...








No comments:

Post a Comment

Melbourne - June 2024

Had to go to Melbourne for work. Flew on the Monday morning and straight to the office. After work I checked in to Voco and crossed Lonsdale...